Marine Studies 1 Unit
Contributes to HSC Credential. DOES NOT contribute to an ATAR.
This subject can only be selected if you are completing Studies of Catholic Thought 1 Unit or Studies of Religion 1 Unit.
This Course cannot be used for university entrance. It is a Course that explores numerous aspects of the marine environment and our interaction with it. It is not examined at the HSC.
For Whom is the Subject Intended?
It is most suited to students with the following interests:
- Vocational – tourism, merchant or Australian Navy, seafood catering, boating, etc.
- Environment – both local and global issues, attitudes to conservation.
- Recreational – water sports, development of knowledge and skills in the use of associated equipment.
- Technical – design, manufacture and evaluation of equipment and technique used in the different
There are co-requisites for this course in addition to an interest in the area of study.
- Able to swim 200 metres in 5 minutes.
- Tread water/float for 10 minutes.
- Successfully complete resuscitation course.
Assessment is school-based as follows: (Year 11 Course)
- Demonstrate competency in swimming and Resuscitation
- Three assessment tasks that incorporate skills
Subject costs are included in the College Resource Fee.
Other Costs: Students will be expected to meet costs associated with excursions and practicals. The extent of these will depend on the modules chosen. Costs are kept to a minimum. (Approximately $65.00)
NOTE: There is NO guarantee that this course will continue in the Year 12. Continuance is dependent on student numbers and staff availability.