“Assessment is the broad name for the collection and evaluation of evidence of a student’s learning."
- provides opportunities for teachers to gather evidence about student achievement in relation to outcomes
- enables students to demonstrate what they know and can do
- clarifies student understanding of concepts and promotes deeper understanding
- provides evidence that current understanding is a suitable basis for future learning.
Students engage in both formative and formal assessment tasks throughout the Preliminary and HSC Courses which cover a variety of outcomes from the relevant course syllabus documents.
Students and parents can access the Assessment Handbook via Compass. The Assessment Handbook outlines the responsibilities of the College and students regarding assessments, the rules that apply, and importantly the assessment schedules for each course. These schedules clearly indicate the tasks, weightings, and sequence of tasks.
Assessment Handbook contains information regarding:
- College Assessment Policy
- Assessment Requirements
- Assessment Submission
- Illness & Misadventure Appeals
- Non Serious attempts
- Disability Provisions
- Assessment in VET
- Assessment Schedules for each course
Assessment Calendars assist students to manage their assessments. The Calendars are available through Compass. This Calendar is a working document and students are advised to check for updates at regular intervals
The purpose of the Assessment Calendar is to:
- provide a visual representation of the tasks scheduled each week
- show where known in advance excursions / fieldwork pertinent to a course
- indicate scheduled work placements
Students should use the Assessment Calendars to assist them in planning their time and setting goals for each term.
In the case of known absences students should check the Assessment Calendar and Assessment Schedules and follow the procedures outlined in the Assessment Handbook.